Wednesday, September 1

Day 1 of Vegan Lyfe

Today, not yesterday, is the first of September, and also the first day of my being vegan.
I'm going to use this blog to record my observations of my month as a vegan (and perhaps the rest of my life, if I enjoy the experience.)

I ate a pretty normally, akin to what I eat from a day to day basis -- without the dairy. I didn't have a glass of milk, but I did have a glass of the oh so yummy chocolate soy milk LITE (this is only 90 calories a cup. INSANE.)
And I did get my calcium intake in with CALCIUM FORTIFIED orange juice.

I found out that so much of the junk food we know today is vegan! Which is kind of disconcerting, because it may not contain milk in it, but it does contain a bunch of chemicals that I can't even pronounce. Oreos, Trix, Famous Amo's chocolate chip cookies, and even Lay's potato chips all constitute as vegan.
I wonder if there are people out there who are junk food vegans... knowing the world, there probably are. Eating chemically processed foods, even though they technically are vegan, still aren't healthy. Being vegan does not make it any more okay for you to eat it, without guilt, then it does for an average omnivore, or even a vegetarian. At least when you were an omnivore/vegetarian, you still got some of the requisite vitamins and proteins. When you're a junk food vegan, you're not getting those vitamins or protein, because you probably aren't eating the fruits and vegetables necessary to get those elements, or not enough.

WHAT I MISS: Indian yoghurt. Oh how I was yearning to grab a spoonful to dump onto my lentils and rice (or as I would say correctly, but spell wrong: dhal bath).

1 comment:

sugar & spice said...

"junk food vegan" :) lol